The mission of the Young Alumni Council (YAC) is to foster and sustain relationships with University of Mary Washington (UMW) young alumni with the intention of keeping them engaged and actively involved with the University, and to promote the welfare and support of the mission of the University of Mary Washington.
The Young Alumni Council works to achieve its mission by:
- Advocating for the interests of young alumni:
- Promoting the social, professional, philanthropic, and service interests of young alumni
- Communicating ideas and agendas from its constituents to UMW
- Working as a "think tank" to conceive ideas on how best to engage young alumni
- Represent the interests of young alumni to the Office of Alumni Relations and Alumni Board
- Serving as ambassadors for the Office of Alumni Relations:
- Actively representing and promoting the University in their own local communities
- Educating current students on the value and importance of being active alumni
- Educating young alumni about the goals, purposes, projects, and services of the Alumni Association
- Interacting and working with other alumni organizations, such as Student Alumni Ambassadors and the Alumni Association Board of Directors and its committees, to achieve these goals when interests of the groups coincide
Note: Young Alumni are University of Mary Washington graduates of the last ten years who are also under the age of 35.
Interested in Joining the Young Alumni Council?
Up to two representatives from every class of the last ten years are chosen to represent their year on the Council. Council applications will be made available in March and then reviewed by the Membership Committee. New Council members will be voted on at the April meeting, and their terms will start at the beginning of the Council’s year on July 1. New members will attend their first meeting in July. For more information, contact faculty representative Jeremy Vaughn at firstname.lastname@example.org.