Student Alumni Ambassadors (SAAs) are students selected to foster connections between alumni and students by interacting with alumni and by encouraging students to consider their role as future alumni. Through service and leadership, this organization strives to foster relationships that benefit all parties involved and promote the character and ethics of the University of Mary Washington.
- Serve as proponents and ambassadors of the University of Mary Washington, actively representing and promoting the University to other students as well as alumni.
- Develop an efficient system of student-run leadership that benefits both the students and the organization.
- Provide opportunities for members to develop leadership, networking, and resourcing skills that will prove useful to their future.
- Assist the Office of Alumni Relations and the University at events.
- Increase awareness about the Office of Alumni Relations, and engage students by educating them on the benefits of being a Mary Washington Alumni.
Expectations of SAAs:
- Attend meetings twice per month during the fall and spring semesters
- Volunteer and assist with three or more Office of Alumni Relations events per semester
- Volunteer at either Homecoming (fall) or Reunion Weekend (spring)
- Participate in the 1908 Letters program
- Annual philanthropic gift of any amount to any campus entity
- Be an advocate for the SAA program and the Office of Alumni Relations among alumni, parents, faculty, staff, and students.
- Undergraduate status at the University of Mary Washington
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Good disciplinary standing with the University Judicial System. By completing an application, you are giving us permission to contact the Office of Judicial Affairs and Community Responsibility to review your record.
- Candidates must make a commitment to the mission of the University and the Student Alumni Ambassador Program, and possess the following personal qualities: A desire to learn, enthusiasm, leadership, responsibility, dependability, maturity, initiative, dedication, and punctuality.
- Meet and network with UMW officials and donors, as well as alumni, staff, administrators, and community leaders as official and exclusive representatives of UMW.
- Invitations to exclusive programs and events to which students do not normally have access, both on and off campus.
- Priority registration for alumni-related events, including volunteering at Reunion Weekend.
- Opportunities to travel on behalf of the University to off-campus events and conferences
- SAA members receive up to 4 tickets for family members for a VIP reception/viewing area on the Linden Terrace at their graduation.
Selection Process and Timeline:
We accept up to eight new members a year, giving preference to younger classes.
- December: Applications available online.
- Friday, Feb 2: Completed application must be received online by 5 p.m.
- Mid-February: Applicant Interviews
- By March 1: Candidates are notified by e-mail of their selection as Student Alumni Ambassadors
- Early March: New member training and orientation
For more information, contact Jeremy Vaughn, SAA Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.